Director of People
People & HR
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2023
At Tive, we imagine a fully-transparent world in which everything and everyone is connected. We innovate beyond what the world thought possible—so what people hold near and dear arrives on time and in full.
We believe (and live!) four core values:
• Create transparency first—everything else comes second:
We believe that trust is critical, and we depend on each other to be transparent and open—and to consistently deliver on their word.
• Make it simple: We work hard to deliver creative technical solutions to complex problems.
• We’ve got your back: We are fiercely loyal to our team.
• Relentless iteration: Our desire to learn new things and create innovative solutions—every single day—is unmatched.
Whether shipped by road, rail, ocean, or air, Tive reduces shipment delays, minimizes rejected loads, and decreases theft, damage, and spoilage. Our customers count on Tive to ensure that their shipments are delivered on time and in full—because every shipment matters.
Tive’s Director of People will play a critical role in managing the company's most valuable resource: its people. Leading and overseeing our organization’s People function, Tive’s Director of People is innovative, effective, and forward-thinking in their solutions, ensuring the development and inclusion of every team member. Our ideal candidate is someone who possesses strong leadership qualities, strategic thinking abilities, and effective people management skills.
• Lead recruitment initiatives, ensuring diverse, top talent is attracted, onboarded, and integrated effectively
• Liaise with external recruiters to ensure productivity and effectiveness of recruiting expenses.
• Design and lead internal processes for evaluating hiring needs and requests.
• Design and lead processes for preparing and posting job descriptions, and managing the hiring process.
• Design and facilitate an effective onboarding process that ensures a high-quality experience for new employees and ensures that new employees are set up to succeed.
• Ensure a constructive performance appraisal system is in place and aligns with the company’s goals.
Compensation & Benefits
• Oversee the creation of competitive compensation packages and benefit programs
• Manage the company’s merit review and adjustment process
• Manage and resolve complex employee relations issues
• Serve as a link between management and employees, addressing demands, grievances, or other issues
Legal & Compliance
• Ensure all People policies and processes are compliant with federal, state, and local regulations
• Drive initiatives that foster a positive organizational culture and high employee morale
• Initiate and organize team-building events to boost morale and increase employee happiness
Training & Development:
• Collaborate with senior leadership to align training and development initiatives with the organization's strategic goals and objectives.
• Collaborate with department heads and senior management to design clear and structured career paths for various roles within the organization.
• Work with managers and employees to define the skills, competencies, and milestones required for progression along the career ladder.
• Establish and maintain a transparent and competitive compensation framework that includes clearly defined compensation bands for different job roles and levels.
• Conduct regular market research and benchmarking to ensure that the organization's compensation bands and career ladder align with industry standards and market trends.
Data & Analytics
• Utilize People metrics to make informed decisions and drive improvements
• Ensure accurate employee records
• Manage employee personal information and status changes, to ensure accurate employee and payroll information
• Design and implement People reporting that drives greater awareness and ability to act on People issues (e.g. eNPS, hiring/retention, etc)
• Oversee the People department budget, ensuring effective resource allocation
• 8+ years of progressive People/HR experience, including 3+ years in leadership roles, preferably in a fast-growing tech startup or high-tech environment.
• Proven experience overseeing global employees and contractors.
• Strong understanding of global employment laws and regulations, with experience operating in US, LATAM, and EMEA markets.
• Demonstrated ability to build and develop high-performing People teams, fostering a culture of collaboration, accountability, and continuous improvement.
• Exceptional strategic thinking and business acumen, with the ability to align People initiatives with overall organizational goals and objectives.
• Strong analytical skills, with the ability to leverage data and metrics to drive insights and influence decision-making.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to influence and build strong relationships across all levels of the organization.
• Strategic mindset and the ability to think creatively and analytically to solve complex People challenges.
• Strong business acumen and the ability to align People initiatives with the company's overall strategy.
• SHRM-SCP and/or SPHR certification preferred.
What does Tive offer?
- A chance to join what may very well turn out to be the most important company in your career.
- The autonomy and resources to build what you know how to build.
- Work with a committed global team that have each others back.
- Office-based or hybrid options. Your choice.
- Competitive equity to ensure all of our employees have a sense of ownership in the long-term success of Tive’s growth.
Need to know information:
- This position will require working out of our Boston office at least one week each month.
We celebrate diversity, and consider it key to our success as both a team and a company. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment of mutual respect for all employees.