Engineering Manager (AI teams)
At Preply, we are unlocking human potential through learning.
We believe learning with a great tutor is life-changing. That’s why we match online tutors from across the globe with learners and empower them to create live language classes with AI-powered tools and learning materials. This is how we deliver progress, create engagement and keep our global community of learners motivated. So far, over 32,000 tutors have given more than 15 million lessons to learners from over 175 countries.
The Preply Engineering Team provides the tools to help unlock human potential through learning.
We work primarily with Python/Django to build scalable and robust applications. We implement A/B tests to prove the value of our initiatives and improve our product based on data and students and tutors feedback. As part of our commitment to ensuring high-quality products, we prioritize monitoring and metrics analysis to identify areas for optimization and ensure our services are performing at their best. Our team is made up of talented engineers who are passionate about solving complex problems and developing innovative solutions to drive our company's success.
At Preply, we release our product 50-60 times per day by leveraging top-notch CI/CD processes. As a fast-growing company we have diverse technical challenges (sometimes we even write about them on our Engineering Blog) that will allow you to develop your skills at scale.
Meet the team!
As an Engineering Manager for AI Teams you will build, lead and align the engineering team with Preply vision. You will be a key contributor to innovative GenAI projects within Preply that will give our tutors AI-superpowers and our students tools to help reach their learning goals faster. The manager’s main function is not about executing everything by themselves, but rather setting up a favourable environment that will improve the execution process and make it more efficient over time. Engineers from 1-3 product squads(~12 people) will report to this position.
What you’ll be doing:
- Act as a champion for the adoption of GenAI within the organization maximizing value for our users, for preplers and for the business;
- Build new and grow existing AI cross-functional teams. Interview new candidates and schedule 1:1 with existing employees, perform quarter reviews, and salary reviews;
- Guide and coach the team to build successful AI/ML-powered features;
- Collaborate with the engineering team to make decisions regarding AI/ML infrastructure, architecture, and scalability. Making decisions on building or buying, choosing 3rd party providers, building and supporting relationships with them;
- Develop, inspire, mentor, and evaluate the engineering team. Ensure dev. culture to be customer-centric;
- Drive business impact. Define, measure, and improve developers goals, ensure OKR completion > 80%;
- Improve engineering quality and efficiency (e.g. improve workflow, code review, etc.);
- Create a positive team culture (e.g. curious, mutually challenging, collaborative);
- Co-lead development a strong Employer Brand for engineers globally via engineering blog and meetups;
Collaborate with cross-functional peers and leaders to deliver value for the end-customer.
What you need to succeed:
- Degree in computer science, data science, mathematics or a related field;
- Background and experience in at least one of the following AI/ML fields: NLP, LLMs, text-to-speech, speech-to-text, digital avatars. Portfolio of AI/ML-powered products or features;
- Building language learning and/or self-learning products is a big plus;
- Exceptional communication skills. Ability to speak two “languages”: language of business and tech. language;
- Business sense, entrepreneurial spirit;
- Experience in building, leading, and scaling development teams in AI/ML area;
- Experience in Product Development in an online marketplace business or fast-growing internet startups with a strong focus on customers and growth is an advantage;
Why you’ll love it at Preply:
- Open, collaborative, dynamic and diverse culture.
- Generous monthly allowance for lessons on Preply.com .
- Learning & Development budget, including time off for your self-development.
- Competitive financial package with equity, leave allowance and health insurance.
- Access to free mental health support platforms.
- Flexible set-up with the option of paid relocation to Barcelona, or working remotely within a close time zone.
- Opportunity to shape the lives of learners and tutors from over 175 countries through language learning and teaching.
- Care to change the world - We are passionate about our work and care deeply about its impact to be life changing.
- We do it for learners - For both Preply and tutors, learners are why we do what we do. Every day we focus on empowering tutors to deliver an exceptional learning experience.
- Keep perfecting - To create an outstanding customer experience, we focus on simplicity, smoothness, and enjoyment, continually perfecting it as every detail matters.
- Now is the time - In a fast-paced world, it matters how quickly we act. Now is the time to make great things happen.
- Disciplined execution - What makes us disciplined is the excellence in our execution. We set clear goals, focus on what matters, and utilize our resources efficiently.
- Dive deep - We leverage business acumen and curiosity to investigate disparities between numbers and stories, unlocking meaningful insights to guide our decisions.
- Growth mindset - We proactively seek growth opportunities and believe today's best performance becomes tomorrow's starting point. We humbly embrace feedback and learn from setbacks.
- Raise the bar - We raise our performance standards continuously, alongside each new hire and promotion. We build diverse and high-performing teams that can make a real difference.
- Challenge, disagree and commit - We value open and candid communication, even when we don’t fully agree. We speak our minds, challenge when necessary, and fully commit to decisions once made.
- One Preply - We prioritize collaboration, inclusion, and the success of our team over personal ambitions. Together, we support and celebrate each other's progress.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Preply is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. Different opinions and viewpoints are key ingredients in our success as a multicultural Ed-Tech company.
Preply will consider all applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or veteran status. Together, we are The World Class.