Senior Software Engineer (Developer Experience)
At Preply, we are unlocking human potential through learning.
We believe learning with a great tutor is life-changing. That’s why we match online tutors from across the globe with learners and empower them to create live language classes with AI-powered tools and learning materials. This is how we deliver progress, create engagement and keep our global community of learners motivated. So far, over 32,000 tutors have given more than 15 million lessons to learners from over 175 countries.
Meet the team!
Part of the Platform Tribe, the Developer Experience team at Preply combines software development, infrastructure operations, and business skills to continuously improve and maintain state-of-the-art dev experience at Preply.
At Preply we believe that DevExp is crucial for the healthy growth of an engineering organization. Currently, we release our product 70-80 times a day with avg lead time for new features less than 24 hours. We impact the work of more than 100 product engineers and have a noticeable impact on company performance.
DevExp team focus on 3 main areas:
- Improving feedback loop (responsiveness and stability of stage environments, local development, etc)
- Decreasing cognitive load (Improving documentation practices, unifying dev practices, decreasing change failure rate)
- Improve flow state of engineers (minimizing distractions and increased autonomy of product teams)
We work in small teams, thus you will be able to influence system design and contribute a lot in the company's growth. We’re really serious about it: you’ll be able to actually measure how your work impacts business and present it to the whole company. We promote self-direction to work on meaningful projects, while we also strive to create an environment that provides the support and mentorship needed to learn and grow.
We have diverse technical challenges (sometimes we write about them on our Engineering Blog) that will allow you to develop your skills across the stack. Please visit our Tech Radar and our YouTube channel to learn more about the technologies we use at Preply!
What you’ll be doing:
- Gather metrics from the system and do surveys for engineers to identify key areas for improvement.
- Improve the lead time of Engineers at Preply.
- Developing internal developer platform.
- Improving architecture of core business applications.
- Improve practices of the pyramid of testing (unit test / integration / e2e).
- Frequently collaborate with product teams to understand key flaws of the system.
- Work with EKS and CI/CD to improve stability of dev tools.
- Introducing a process of continuous lib updates.
- Follow the best FinOps practices.
- Participate in on-call rotation for DevExp team.
What you need to succeed:
- Expertise in problem solving and improving DevExp.
- Business-orientation and data-driven approach.
- Experience of web development with Python Django or Node.js React.
- Experience with AWS or any other cloud provider.
- Willingness to participate on paid on-call rotations.
- Strong communication skills. Minimum B2 English level.
- Track of record of improving developer experience would be a great plus.
Why you’ll love it at Preply
- An open, collaborative, dynamic and diverse culture;
- A generous monthly allowance for lessons on Preply.com, Learning & Development budget and time off for your self-development;
- A competitive financial package with equity, leave allowance and health insurance;
- Not in Barcelona? We offer an attractive relocation package to join us in our Preply Barcelona Hub;
- Access to free mental health support platforms;
- Access to Gympass-partnered wellness and gym centers throughout Spain to promote and support well-being and physical health;
- The opportunity to unlock the potential of learners and tutors through language learning and teaching in 175 countries (and counting!).
- Care to change the world - We are passionate about our work and care deeply about its impact to be life changing.
- We do it for learners - For both Preply and tutors, learners are why we do what we do. Every day we focus on empowering tutors to deliver an exceptional learning experience.
- Keep perfecting - To create an outstanding customer experience, we focus on simplicity, smoothness, and enjoyment, continually perfecting it as every detail matters.
- Now is the time - In a fast-paced world, it matters how quickly we act. Now is the time to make great things happen.
- Disciplined execution - What makes us disciplined is the excellence in our execution. We set clear goals, focus on what matters, and utilize our resources efficiently.
- Dive deep - We leverage business acumen and curiosity to investigate disparities between numbers and stories, unlocking meaningful insights to guide our decisions.
- Growth mindset - We proactively seek growth opportunities and believe today's best performance becomes tomorrow's starting point. We humbly embrace feedback and learn from setbacks.
- Raise the bar - We raise our performance standards continuously, alongside each new hire and promotion. We build diverse and high-performing teams that can make a real difference.
- Challenge, disagree and commit - We value open and candid communication, even when we don’t fully agree. We speak our minds, challenge when necessary, and fully commit to decisions once made.
- One Preply - We prioritize collaboration, inclusion, and the success of our team over personal ambitions. Together, we support and celebrate each other's progress.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Preply is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. Different opinions and viewpoints are key ingredients in our success as a multicultural Ed-Tech company.
Preply will consider all applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or veteran status. Together, we are The World Class.