Design System Senior Engineer
At Preply, we are unlocking human potential through learning.
We believe learning with a great tutor is life-changing. That’s why we match online tutors from across the globe with learners and empower them to create live language classes with AI-powered tools and learning materials. This is how we deliver progress, create engagement and keep our global community of learners motivated. So far, over 32,000 tutors have given more than 15 million lessons to learners from over 175 countries.
Meet the team!
Our cross-disciplinary Design System team is responsible for a comprehensive collection of patterns, guidelines, and tools that enables our product teams to build a coherent experience across the product with less waste and technical debt and a faster time to market, ultimately improving the experience for Preply’s tutors and learners.
We start by understanding the needs of Preply designers and engineers by applying our evolving design language in a fast-paced environment. We then collaborate with other teams to design and develop contributions to the system and to ensure the system is applied correctly in the production pipeline.
We continuously refine our documentation, tools, and processes, applying rigorous feedback loops to everything we do. We are drivers of culture change, advocates for design thinking, strong principles, and best practices.
We are currently looking for a Senior Front-end developer, passionate about the vision of our product to join our Design System Squad.
As a Design System Engineer, what you’ll be doing:
- Collaborate with product, design, engineering, and stakeholders to gather requirements and align the roadmap with organizational needs.
- Lead the industry's implementation and adoption of existing reusable components, patterns, and features throughout all development phases.
- Develop and maintain the system's support tools, such as build systems, code generators, and testing automation.
- Plan and prioritize your work due to OKRs based on the success metrics of the Design system (while continuously improving them).
- Build and contribute to the long-term roadmaps for the Design system, continuously aligning stakeholders on expectations, estimates, and progress
- Create and maintain high-quality documentation, including tutorials, demos, and guides.
- Mentor and guide other engineers in the team and organization through knowledge sharing and code reviews.
- Collaborate with other engineers to implement contributions to the Design System while ensuring adherence to high standards and governance policies.
- Continuously contribute to improving the team’s ways of working.
What you need to succeed:
- Ability and readiness to prioritize your work based on the estimated impact on our end users. This might include choosing not-perfect solutions or adopting existing ones rather than developing them from scratch.
- 5+ years of experience in front-end engineering, either in product or platform teams.
- Expertise in developing design systems and reusable components.
- Knowledgeable of accessibility standards and best practices.
- Proficiency with front-end frameworks such as React, Next.js, React Native, or similar.
- Experience with user research and usability testing.
- Exposure to design tools such as Figma, Sketch, and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Excellent problem-solving and both verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with cross-functional teams.
Why you’ll love it at Preply:
- Open, collaborative, dynamic, and diverse culture
- Generous monthly allowance for lessons on Preply.com
- Learning & Development budget, including time off for your self-development
- Competitive financial package with equity, leave allowance, and health insurance
- Access to free mental health support platforms
- Flexible set-up with the option of paid relocation to Barcelona or working remotely within a close time zone
- Opportunity to shape the lives of learners and tutors from over 175 countries through language learning and teaching
- Care to change the world - We are passionate about our work and care deeply about its impact to be life changing.
- We do it for learners - For both Preply and tutors, learners are why we do what we do. Every day we focus on empowering tutors to deliver an exceptional learning experience.
- Keep perfecting - To create an outstanding customer experience, we focus on simplicity, smoothness, and enjoyment, continually perfecting it as every detail matters.
- Now is the time - In a fast-paced world, it matters how quickly we act. Now is the time to make great things happen.
- Disciplined execution - What makes us disciplined is the excellence in our execution. We set clear goals, focus on what matters, and utilize our resources efficiently.
- Dive deep - We leverage business acumen and curiosity to investigate disparities between numbers and stories, unlocking meaningful insights to guide our decisions.
- Growth mindset - We proactively seek growth opportunities and believe today's best performance becomes tomorrow's starting point. We humbly embrace feedback and learn from setbacks.
- Raise the bar - We raise our performance standards continuously, alongside each new hire and promotion. We build diverse and high-performing teams that can make a real difference.
- Challenge, disagree and commit - We value open and candid communication, even when we don’t fully agree. We speak our minds, challenge when necessary, and fully commit to decisions once made.
- One Preply - We prioritize collaboration, inclusion, and the success of our team over personal ambitions. Together, we support and celebrate each other's progress.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Preply is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. Different opinions and viewpoints are key ingredients in our success as a multicultural Ed-Tech company.
Preply will consider all applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or veteran status. Together, we are The World Class.