Site Reliability Engineer
Preply is a global language learning marketplace, connecting 50,000+ tutors with millions of learners from all over the world. Since the company launched in 2012, students have signed up to more than 15 million lessons.
Meet the team!
As a member of the Platform tribe, the Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) at Preply combines software development, infrastructure operations and business skills to run a large-scale, fault-tolerant, global language education platform. The SRE ensures that Preply systems have high reliability, top-industry uptime and a fast rate of production innovations. Additionally, SRE’s keep an ever-watchful eye on the capacity and performance of our system. You'll work on core parts of our platform and help us to meet the challenges of growing our organization in terms of both traffic and the number of developers.
The SRE team unites infrastructure, engineering and business to ensure great synergy that helps Preply succeed. Our main focuses are:
- Top in the industry uptime record and latency.
- Blazingly fast Lead Time for our product engineers.
- Running infrastructure in a cost effective way.
We work in small teams, thus you will be able to influence system design and contribute a lot in the company's growth. We’re really serious about it: you’ll be able to actually measure how your work impacts business and present it to the whole company. We promote self-direction to work on meaningful projects, while we also strive to create an environment that provides the support and mentorship needed to learn and grow.
We release our product 70-80 times per day by leveraging modern technologies like Kubernetes, Docker and top-notch CI/CD processes. We have diverse technical challenges (sometimes we write about them on our Engineering Blog) that will allow you to develop your skills across the stack. Please visit our Tech Radar to learn more about the technologies we use at Preply!
What you’ll be doing:
- Own availability and performance of mission critical services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence.
- Improve lead time of Engineers at Preply.
- Follow best FinOps practices.
- Improve system scalability.
- Improve system observability and alerting.
- Manage on-call rotations across the company.
- Establish credibility with the quality of the team's technical execution.
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems.
- Collaborate with product teams to help them tackle technical issues and design new systems.
What you need to succeed:
- Expertise in problem solving and analyzing high loaded systems.
- Proficiency with production troubleshooting.
- Business-orientation and data-driven approach.
- Strong experience with k8s, Docker, Helm or similar technologies.
- Experience with AWS or any other cloud provider.
- Understanding of Networking: network topologies and common network protocols and services.
- Experience coding in one or more programming languages. Experience with modern web frameworks is a plus, as well as SQL and relational DBs.
- Willingness to participate on paid on-call rotations.
- Minimum B2 English level.
Why you’ll love it at Preply:
- An open, collaborative, dynamic and diverse culture;
- A generous monthly allowance for lessons on Preply.com, Learning & Development budget and time off for your self-development;
- A competitive financial package with equity, leave allowance and health insurance;
- Access to free mental health support platforms;
- A flexible set-up with the option of paid relocation to Barcelona or working remotely within a close time-zone;
- The opportunity to shape the lives of learners and tutors through language learning and teaching in 175 countries (and counting!).
At Preply, we focus on doing better every day – pushing the limits of what we know is possible. And we know our purpose is strong. We’re re-engineering education, providing outstanding experiences for our global community of language learners and building authentic connections across the world.
Propelled by a tenfold increase in revenues over the last three years, thanks to our best-in-class consumer and b2b products, Preply is now leading the online language tutoring segment globally and has 400+ employees of over 50 nationalities based across Barcelona, Kyiv and the US. We do extraordinary things at Preply – and we want you to join us. If you’re committed to curiosity, love experimentation and relish the challenge of exploring new ideas, then it’s time we said:
Welcome to The World Class.
- Human: We embrace diversity by fostering inclusive environments where people feel respected and safe to express their opinions.
- Hungry: We make bold, data-informed decisions to deliver high-impact solutions for our customers.
- Humble: We experiment continuously by staying open to being challenged, learning from failures and making data-informed decisions.
- Hackers: We learn by doing, focus on things that matter and move with incredible speed to create simple, creative, and scalable solutions;
- Curious: We thrive on facing challenges, diving deep to identify root causes and uncovering insights to continuously improve.
- Learners Obsessed: We put our learners at the core of everything we do to improve the effectiveness of their language learning with us.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Preply is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. Different opinions and viewpoints are key ingredients in our success as a multicultural Ed-Tech company.
That means that Preply will consider all applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or veteran status. Together, we are The World Class.