Meet the team!
We lead and align engineering teams with Preply vision maximizing value for the team, for Preply customers, and for the business.
As EMs we are deeply involved in people, business, product, marketing, and technologies. In partnership with product managers we look for business opportunities and take them to bring the business to the next levels.
The manager’s main function is not about executing everything by themselves, but rather setting up a favorable environment that will improve the execution process and make it more efficient over time. Engineers from 2 cross-functional product squads (approximately 8 - 10 people) will report to this position.
Visit our Tech Radar to learn more about the technologies we use at Preply.
What you’ll be doing:
- Drive positive business outcomes;
- Build, manage and develop high-performing teams;
- Develop, inspire, mentor, and evaluate your engineering teams. Lead and support them through change and ensure engineering culture to be customer and business centric;
- Ensure adherence to engineering best practices, including workflow improvement, code review, testing pyramid, SLO etc.
- Create a positive team culture (e.g. curious, mutually challenging, trusting and collaborative);
- Collaborate with cross-functional peers and leaders to deliver and maximize value for the end-customer, develop and maintain positive relationships with key stakeholders to achieve business goals
- Balance hands-on involvement into details with maintaining a high-level perspective, adapting quickly to changing circumstances and integrating business, people, process, and technology;
- Work within a team of Engineering Managers to promote and develop the engineering culture, and grow the engineering organization;
What you need to succeed:
- Exceptional communication skills;
- Ability to speak two “languages”: language of business and tech. language;
- Business sense, entrepreneurial spirit;
- 3+ years of experience in building, leading, and scaling development teams;
- Technical proficiency, a strong awareness of current mobile & web technologies, trends, products, tools, and design standards;
- Motivation and drive to use innovative technologies and approaches, adopt artificial intelligence for operational and business efficiency, continuously grow yourself and others;
- Experience in Product Development and digital marketing in an online marketplace or ed-tech business or fast-growing internet startups with a strong focus on customers and growth is an advantage;
- Experience scaling engineering organizations to the next levels, for example, 200-500 engineers will be an advantage
Why you’ll love it at Preply:
- An open, collaborative, dynamic and diverse culture;
- A generous monthly allowance for lessons on Preply.com, Learning & Development budget and time off for your self-development;
- A competitive financial package with equity, leave allowance and health insurance;
- Access to free mental health support platforms;
- A flexible set-up with the option of paid relocation to Barcelona or working remotely within CET or 3 hours from CET;
- The opportunity to shape the lives of learners and tutors through language learning and teaching in 175 countries (and counting!).
At Preply, we focus on doing better every day – pushing the limits of what we know is possible. And we know our purpose is strong. We’re re-engineering education, providing outstanding experiences for our global community of language learners and building authentic connections across the world.
Propelled by a tenfold increase in revenues over the last three years, thanks to our best-in-class consumer and b2b products, Preply is now leading the online language tutoring segment globally and has 400+ employees of over 50 nationalities based across Barcelona, Kyiv and the US. We do extraordinary things at Preply – and we want you to join us. If you’re committed to curiosity, love experimentation and relish the challenge of exploring new ideas, then it’s time we said:
Welcome to The World Class.
- Human: We embrace diversity by fostering inclusive environments where people feel respected and safe to express their opinions.
- Hungry: We make bold, data-informed decisions to deliver high-impact solutions for our customers.
- Humble: We experiment continuously by staying open to being challenged, learning from failures and making data-informed decisions.
- Hackers: We learn by doing, focus on things that matter and move with incredible speed to create simple, creative, and scalable solutions;
- Curious: We thrive on facing challenges, diving deep to identify root causes and uncovering insights to continuously improve.
- Learners Obsessed: We put our learners at the core of everything we do to improve the effectiveness of their language learning with us.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Preply is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. Different opinions and viewpoints are key ingredients in our success as a multicultural Ed-Tech company.
That means that Preply will consider all applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or veteran status. Together, we are The World Class.