SVP of Manufacturing
Lynk is the only patented, proven, and commercially-operational satellite-direct-to-standard-phone (sat2phone) system in the world. We will enable all 8 billion people on the planet to stay connected with the existing standard phone in their pocket. Everywhere. No matter what.
By joining Lynk, you will have the opportunity to directly touch the lives of billions. Your mission will be to bring mobile broadband to billions, pull hundreds of millions out of poverty, and save countless lives.
The SVP of Manufacturing will be responsible for leading all manufacturing operations for Lynk and will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer. The SVP of Manufacturing will be a key member of Lynk’s senior executive team and a contributor to Lynk’s overall strategy; you will work closely with the CTO, COO, Chief Engineer, and SVP of Engineering to rapidly scale Lynk’s satellite production to support Lynk’s core business plan.
You will be primarily responsible for designing, implementing, tooling, and staffing Lynk’s satellite production facilities. You will continuously and methodically scale our current production capabilities to hundreds of satellites per month to launch and deploy thousands of satellites into low Earth orbit per year. At a continuous rate of production, the facilities will refresh the entire constellation over the course of a few years to constantly improve capabilities. You will be producing satellites that must simultaneously be affordable, high-quality and deliver continuous improvement in performance.
You will become intimately familiar with Lynk’s spacecraft design, how we build them today, and how the design will evolve over time. You will be tasked with the continuous enhancement, improvement, and automation of Lynk’s spacecraft production and Assembly, Integration, and Test (AI&T) procedures and processes. You will actively participate in and influence make-buy decisions and establish organizational capabilities to match Lynk’s growth strategy. As we grow, you will actively work to lower costs, improve quality, and reduce or remove risks within Lynk’s production operations. To do so, you will question every requirement, eliminate requirements where possible, simplify and optimize operations, accelerate production cycles, and automate processes as appropriate. Lynk’s approach is based on a never-ending production cycle using generational block upgrades.
The ideal candidate will excel in a fast-paced rapidly-scaling satellite production environment quickly understand the technical design of Lynk’s satellites. You will have a track record of standing up and operating manufacturing facilities that utilize, design and produce large volumes of technically complex machines, robots, tools, and/or equipment. Experience with mass production of satellites is a big plus, but there are other industries that mass produce expensive complex electronic systems at scale where low-cost/high-quality is essential that are similar and relevant (such as automotive, robotics and medical devices).
• Oversee all manufacturing operations across Lynk’s manufacturing facilities. You will be responsible for every aspect of standing up Lynk’s satellite production facilities and recruiting, leading, and training the production teams.
• Lead the development of Lynk’s manufacturing and production teams and processes to scale from building, integrating and testing a few satellites per month to hundreds of satellites per month.
• Plan, prioritize, and simplify manufacturing requirements and then implement manufacturing designs/processes to meet those requirements.
• Ensure the manufacturing team engages extremely closely with Lynk’s design, product and technology teams to:
o Understand satellite designs and suggest design modifications for manufacturing and product improvement.
o Introduce next generation designs/subsystems as rapidly and efficiently as possible into the existing (and future) satellite production processes.
o Create a healthy Dev-Ops relationship between our satellite technology R&D team and our satellite production/manufacturing team.
o Continuously look for unnecessary requirements or alternative solutions to eliminate to lower costs, reduce risks, or increase quality.
o Continuously look to simplify processes and subsystems to eliminate to lower costs, reduce risks, or increase quality.
o As appropriate, automate the production, assembly, and test of critical satellites subsystems and fully integrated systems (just because you can automate something, doesn’t mean that you should).
o Build strong relationships with key suppliers and eliminate supply chain risks.
• Implement methods to inspect, test and evaluate satellites and production equipment.
• Enable rapid-production and testing of new spacecraft technologies on the ground and in orbit.
• Serve as a thought leader to eliminate unnecessary and ill-conceived requirements.
• Collect, analyze and utilize data as a living tool for management and manufacturing personnel.
• Work to aggressive deadlines for the delivery of completed satellites based on the Lynk growth and business plan. Create contingency plans and eliminate surprises when they cannot be met.
• Manage and implement the supply chain plan and a parts program for the Lynk production facility.
• Help company vertically-integrate spacecraft subsystems and components as necessary. Enable long-term production flexibility for future make/buy decisions, and re-evaluate make/buy decisions as events dictate.
• Implement procedures to track satellites (and their subsystems/components) through the manufacturing process to guarantee that each part of the process is correct and consistently executed.
• A Bachelor’s Degree (or better) in Mechanical Engineer, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, or other relevant technical degree.
• Previous experience (10+ years) designing, standing up, and operating a manufacturing or production facility for satellites, satellite components, space payloads, or some other similarly technical complex piece of high-quality electronic machinery (e.g. robots, automobiles, aircraft, medical devices, etc.) in-depth understanding of industry best practices for quality in the manufacturing process at scale.
• Experience leading the production of satellites or satellite components at scale is a plus.
• Experience in leading, developing and managing large production teams.
• Experience managing overseas suppliers is a plus.
Washington, DC area initially