Research Engineer, Optimization
We help make autonomous technologies more efficient, safer, and accessible.
Helm.ai builds AI software for autonomous driving and robotics. Our "Deep Teaching" methodology is uniquely data and capital efficient, allowing us to surpass traditional approaches. Our unsupervised learning software can train neural networks without the need for human annotation or simulation and is hardware-agnostic. We work with some of the world's largest automotive manufacturers and we've raised over $70M from Honda, Goodyear Ventures, Mando, and others to help us scale.
Our team is made up of people with a diverse set of experiences in software and academia. We work together towards one common goal: to integrate the software you'll help us build into hundreds of millions of vehicles.
You will collaborate closely with research engineers to perform research development, particularly focused on construction and deployment of ML models to run optimally on GPU’s or AI accelerators. You will use your judgment in complex scenarios and apply optimization techniques to a wide variety of technical problems. Specifically, you will:
- Develop, deploy and optimize deep learning (DL) models on various GPU chipsets/platforms
- Characterize neural network quality and performance based on research, experiment and performance data and profiling
- Research, prototype and evaluate state of the art model optimization techniques and algorithms
- Incorporate optimizations and model development best practices into existing ML development lifecycle and workflow, for example, by building tools to benchmark and productize models
- Define the technical vision and roadmap for DL model optimizations
- Write technical reports indicating qualitative and quantitative results to colleagues and customers
- Proficiency in Python
- Proficiency in ML model development and optimization techniques (e.g. numerical optimization, quantization), particularly on model deployment onto GPU’s or AI accelerators
- Strong understanding of deep learning algorithms, software engineering and GPU-based computing
- Proven ability to thrive in fast-paced environment
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts to colleagues and a variety of audience
- Introspection, thoughtfulness, and detail-orientation
The following are a plus, but not required:
- Master’s or Ph.D. in a related field and/or 3+ years of experience in a directly related field
- Experience reading research papers and implementing the techniques therein
- Computer vision and deep learning experience
- Competitive health insurance options
- 401K plan management
- Remote-friendly and flexible team culture
- Free lunch and fully-stocked kitchen in our South Bay office
- Additional perks: monthly wellness stipend, office set up allowance, company retreats, and more to come as we scale
- The opportunity to work on one of the most interesting, impactful problems of the decade
Helm.ai is proud to be an equal opportunity employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Helm.ai are considered the property of Helm.ai and are not subject to payment of agency fees.