Senior Software Engineer, Android OS/Framework
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2023
WHO WE ARE
Emerge is a consumer technology company building a future where distance and time don’t stand in the way of feeling connected.
Starting with a new product category that enables the sense of touch and emotion sharing in the virtual world, the Emerge Wave-series (beta launched and sold out in 2022) emits ultrasound forcefields to create tactile sensations users can feel with bare hands - no gloves or controllers needed. This platform unlocks new possibilities for real-time social interaction across distance and time, where friends and families can play, create, and feel physical and emotional connection in a virtual social space (AR/VR/3D). Imagine a virtual high five, holding another person's hand, or giving someone a soothing caress from across the world.
Founded in 2015 and based in Los Angeles, CA, Emerge is backed by venture capital firms including M13 and Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen’s Vulcan Capital, and other notable investors such as former Google CEO Eric Schmidt, leading Metaverse author Matthew Ball, and co-founders of Blizzard Entertainment, Twitch and Riot Games.
We are proud of our impact-focused and diverse team - we're 70% immigrants and first-generation Americans. We are former entrepreneurs and leaders in tech that have brought several products to market in the fields of consumer electronics, metaverse and gaming, and are passionate about mental and social wellness.
1. Our core values are empathy, respect, and humility.
2. The human experience drives our decisions across the entire company.
3. We value diversity of thought and the pre-established is challenged.
4. We are resourceful and believe in making the impossible possible.
5. We believe in transparency, quality and organization, and data-based decision making.
6. We move fast, celebrate every step, and take care of each other.
7. We're committed to serving our communities, and we take a stand on pressing social issues.
8. We never forget the why.
REPORTS TO SENIOR DIRECTOR OF SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
At Emerge, we are looking for a Level 4 /higher - Senior Software Engineer to join the Emerge engineering team and help own and extend core components of our platform. As an Android Framework Engineer, you will be responsible for extending the Android Framework to support our Hardware’s unique features and for creating custom launchers, system apps, networking, OS Improvements in areas such as security, boot time and performance.
You have extensive experience in coding in C/C++ that is specific to Android Framework; as well as Android Kotlin Application development. Utilizing your knowledge in Android AOSP, Init, System Services, Build systems, Android Architecture and Subsystems.
You will work closely within cross functional teams to enable the consumer platform to reach the next level presence within immersive computing.
You thrive in a team environment and are considered a great team player as this role will require hands-on with a high-level of ownership and teamwork to achieve the company’s strategic objectives. Not to mention the excitement of working within the Metaverse on VR products and creating experiences.
- Integrate and customize Android Framework to Emerge’s custom hardware platform.
- Optimize and implement new Android System Services to run in a headless environment.
- Ensure the stability and robustness of the system from ideation through production and launch.
- Develop, review, test and debug Android APIs and system services.
- Work closely with product and hardware team to implement new features based on the company goals.
- BS in Software, Electrical, Computer Engineering or related.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Android Framework development.
- Level 4 or Higher.
- Extensive experience in Kotlin and C/C++.
- Knowledge on Android AOSP, Init, System Services, Build system, Android Architecture and Android Subsystems.
- Strong Debugging and problem solving skills.
- Experience in dealing with complex systems and codebases (AOSP, Android Makefile, Soong, HALs, etc).
- Native Android Framework, Native Android Services, Binder, JNI Knowledge.
- Familiarity with Linux internals (process scheduler, memory management, concurrency, synchronization, memory allocation, file system, networking, storage, subsystem architecture).
- You have a good understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git, Gerret.
- You feel comfortable in a high-paced, changing environment associated with a startup.
- Great team player, dedicated to the company, willing to take on challenging tasks.
NICE TO HAVE
- Some knowledge of common peripheral bus technologies including SPI, I2C, UART with focus on how Android interacts with these types of peripherals.
- Remote Position with ability to travel to Emerge HQ as needed.
- Able to start Immediately.
- Live/work in Los Angeles, CA (preferred, not required).
- As part of the interview process, you will conduct an exercise on HackerRank.
- This is a Level P4 Salary Band $140k-$200k depending on direct experience and critical skills required.
BENEFITS AND PERKS
- Stock Options and Competitive Salary based on experience with growth opportunities
- Premium Health, Vision, and Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance, Health Savings Account or Flexible Savings Account
- 401(k) Account
- Flexible PTO Policy
- Full Paid Parental Leave policy
- Career Development and Training
**Emerge is an equal opportunity employer. Emerge recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. We believe, in order to succeed as a company, Emerge must be a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to do their best work. In hiring, we seek out new and unique voices, and uphold a workplace environment of inclusivity. Diversity is more than a commitment at Emerge - it is the foundation of what we do.