Brelyon is an MIT spin-off display technology company developing a new category of virtual displays. The company is post-series A with top-tier investors in Silicon Valley and has its products shipped around the world. We are in the scaling phase and there are significant opportunities for leadership and career building with notable impact on the product and production process.
We are looking for a self-leading, passionate, yet highly disciplined individual to join this journey with us. We expect you to thrive in a fast-paced environment with the “can-do” mindset and delivery and magnetism that helps us build a team around you and with you. Your superpower should generate reliable mechanical solutions that take products through phases from CAD to prototype, to production. Our optical engineers, industrial designers, and prototypes will be your teammates.
This role is on-site in our Silicon Valley office and part of our R&D team and will report directly to the Associate Director of Product.
● Drive 0-1 mechanical designs that preserve both optical engineering & and industrial design intents.
● Work with multi-functional teams to improve existing prototypes for optimization and manufacturing.
● Problem-solving and pioneering mindset - provide solutions and challenge the norms.
● Design systems for low & high-volume production scenarios
● Apply engineering know-how in the areas of structural design, material application, and DFM.
● Document best practices, and SOPs, archive and maintain a library of proven designs.
● Assess new vendor capabilities and manufacturing processes to support new development.
● Define Quality Control plan and set it up for the suppliers and assembly level manufacturer which includes process failure mode effects analysis (PFMEA), control plan, Critical to Quality (CTQ) processes, correlated inspection, and testing between suppliers.
● Master's in Mechanical Engineering with 3+ yrs. mechanical system design experience (tool, fixture, mechatronics, electronics packaging, optics), or B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering + 5 years of experience
● High 3D CAD expertise required (Creo, CATIA, NX, Solidworks) with attention to assembly details, and superb mechanical design intuition. All the way from strength and weight considerations to surfacing.
● 3+ years experience working with mass-production products.
● Expertise in surface modeling using CAD software
● Can execute DFM analysis, and understand DFMEA, PFMEA, MSA, PPAP, SPC, and sampling plan definition.
● Experience in injection molding, die casting, stamping, and other manufacturing techniques.
● Knowledge of rapid prototyping on the newest manufacturing capabilities (laser cutting, 3D printing, CNC machining, casting, molding, EDM, etc.)
● Supplier communication and management experience
● Disciplined in drafting and GD&T practices.
● Experience with analysis: FEA, Tolerance stack up, Error budget, RCA
● Experience with designing mechanics for optical systems and consumer electronics components.
● Willing to learn from in-house scientists and SMEs and improve production qualities.
● Excellent written & verbal communication skills
● M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
● 8+ yrs. manufacturing experience in mass production scenarios
● 3+ yrs. experience in consumer electronics design (camera\optical compliant mechanism design)
● Experience in compliance/codes requirements & testing for packaging engineering and certifications like UL, BACL, etc.
● Experience designing mechanical outlines for PCB, FPC, connectors etc.
● Experience in design of high precision mechanisms & optical systems
● Experience working with automotive components or products
● Knowledge of optical system integration, alignment and stability testing
● Knowledge of robotics, automation and wafer/DUT handling systems
● Thermal and thermoforming simulation knowledge
● Knowledge of material properties such as plastics, metal, adhesive, glass, PCBA, and flex circuit
● System integration experience is a plus.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state, or local law.