Senior Optics Engineer
Brelyon is an MIT spin-off display technology company developing a new category of virtual displays. The company is post-series A with top-tier investors and has its products shipped around the world. The company is in the scaling phase and there are significant opportunities for leadership and career building with notable impact on the product and production process.
The position involves optics simulation, optical system design, experimental optics for characterizing components and materials and integrating optics into cutting-edge display systems. It requires extensive, creative hands-on, and experimental work, including building jigs and characterization setups and designing QC processes. Working with both optics and mechanical engineers, as well as with suppliers, you will also need strong communication skills to align internal members with outer suppliers to deliver an advanced optical product.
- Conduct optics research and design for optical systems from theory to demonstration in optics lab, to writing scientific papers and detailed technical reports.
- Model and design optical components and systems using Zemax, Code V, or OSLO.
- Assemble optical setups to measure and investigate new ideas and characterize different elements or systems.
- Lead hardware prototyping efforts: build, characterize, and refine prototypes and optical subsystems for new display technologies.
- Design and implement calibration setups for prototyping and production, including benchmarking and quality control.
- Use LabVIEW, MATLAB, or C++ to automate optical measurements.
- Use engineering best practices and optics knowledge to troubleshoot and optimize hardware.
Required Experience and Skills
- Ph.D. in EE (optics) or related subject such as experimental physics with 5+ years’ cumulative lab experience. (Postdoc is a plus)
- Expertise in building optical setups, and conducting research and design ideally for spatial/beam optics, including characterizing optical surfaces, liquid crystals, and optical film sciences.
- Knowledge of optical properties of materials such as plastics, metal, adhesives, and glass.
- Deep comfort with fundamental optical engineering concepts, including polarization, aberration, MTF, RMS wavefront error, haze, stray-light management, optomechanical hardware, and real-world limitations of optical components.
- Experience designing optical systems in Zemax, TracePro, CodeV, OSLO, Lumerical, or COMSOL for applications in illumination optics, display systems, or backlight design.
- Proficiency in one or more scientific computer languages (e.g., MATLAB, Mathematica, C/C++/C#, Python, etc.) for designing and modeling optical systems.
- Fast, independent learner with strong problem-solving and communication skills.
- Self-motivated, organized, flexible, and able to balance and prioritize multiple diverse projects.
- Track record of transitioning from prototyping to industrial manufacturing.
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Exposure to computational imaging/display techniques.
- Competency in electromagnetic modeling and analysis of nanoscale structures, anisotropic materials, films, or holographic elements using FFT, FEM, or FDTD simulation tools.
- Experience in 3D design software such as SolidWorks, KeyCreator, Rhino, CATIA, or Adobe Illustrator, or similar software with optical functionality.
- Experience in structure design and tolerance analysis using software such as SolidWorks.
- Understanding of mechanical engineering principles or experience designing mechanical constraints of PCBs, FPCs, etc.
- Exposure to developing manufacturing processes for coatings and lamination, such as molding, replication, or diamond turning.
- Mass-production-related experience, e.g., technical discussions with suppliers.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state, or local law.